}

Sunday, May 20, 2012

My Five .....

Hi,
How are you doing? Did you miss us? I will assume you did :) Packing bags and last minutes shopping mania but we are ready to go in a week :) 
Today, we continued with our theme "All About Me" and today as you know is Sunday ;) I know you probably forgot but it means it is Mad Science Sunday. So, we had a themed Science Sunday. We had to know our FIVE SENSES! Perfect!

We started off with our sense of TOUCH! I filled 5 balloons with different fillings and asked Sarah to touch, feel and guess what was inside. Then, she could cut them with scissors. I gave her choices of course. We entertained Farida with some sensory activities, playing with stones & rocks. The balloons contained: 

  • Rice
  • Salt
  • Water Beads
  • Pasta
  • Water


I giggle every time I see this picture, teasing her sister was hilarious to her! 


Don't worry! I was keeping an eye on Farida and watching which pieces she was tasting!
Only the big ones!




After that, it was the sense of SMELL! 6 empty medicine bottles filled with cotton balls. I used different perfumes. I know I should have used natural products like vanilla or something but I didn't have any. Anyway, Sarah matched each 2 similar scents and strange enough for me, she did them right!


Then, we moved to the sense of TASTE! I gave her a tomato, an olive, a piece of chocolate, a spoon of honey and a spoon of citrus juice while she was covering her eyes! Of course, you can guess which one was funny for me ;)



Citrus Juice! Do you think she liked it :p

After that, we used this sheet printed from one of the sites I mentioned in the first post. We kept quiet for a few minutes in our room and I wrote down each sound Sarah said she heard with a drawing beside it so that Sarah can recognize it. Then, we went outside and repeated the same thing and noticed which sounds were similar. So, it was our sense of HEARING!

Yes, Sarah could hear the sound of turning on the camera :)

Since we were outside anyway, we did our last experiment with our sense of VISION! I had this egg cartoon which I colored inside with different colors. We were on a mission, to hunt for colors outside! Whenever we found something that had the same color as one of our spaces in the egg cartoon, we would take it and put it in there. We found: a brown stone and pine cone, a green leaf, a red piece of paper, a yellow sunflower, a white flower, purple and pink petals on the ground. We couldn't find anything blue or orange! It was fun!



This was definitely one of the unforgettable lessons we ever had, we laughed and we had so much fun. Give it a try! Thank you for sharing us our fun moments.
Love,



14 comments:

  1. This is amazing Sherine, how do you get your ideas? Especially the egg carton one, it is genius! I want to try it, I wonder if Adrian would get it now. Farida is so cute joining in with Sarah! I love her hair. And the citrus face made me laugh! Sweet little girl :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ideas are everywhere on the internet and blogs, Liz. We choose what suits us, add to them, leave what is not age appropriate and twist some activities a bit but the themes might be a bit different, I mean I don't know if this theme was covered somewhere else (I am sure it was) but I haven't seen it so I believe it is my idea of integrating all these activities under the same theme :p I am glad you liked it :)

      Delete
  2. Looks like fun! We haven't tried any tasting or smelling activities around here yet, but maybe we should soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great activities ... I love the sensory balloons! Thanks so much for linking up with Montessori Monday! I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page and pinned it to my Any-Season Sensory Tubs/Sensory Experiences at http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/any-season-sensory-tubs-sensory-experiences/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Deb for your great feedback and for featuring us :)

      Delete
  4. I'm your newest follower from PReschool Powol Packets. Lovely blog and great post! I hope you will visit my blog sometime: Kindergarten & Preschool for Parents & Teachers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Susan Case, thanks for joining us. I've already visited your blog and followed you back :) Great blog by the way :)

      Delete
  5. Love this post! I have to try doing a colour outdoor scavenger hunt with my girls! Thanks for linking up to the Outdoor Play Party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are wonderful ideas!! I especially love the sensory balloons--my kids love popping balloons, and they will be thrilled to find out what's hiding in them! I'm pinning this post--thanks so much for linking up at Teach Me Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like fun! Thanks for sharing with BTT!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Best Blogger TipsBlogger Flower Effect